Just as you play a vital role in ensuring the security of your home and your possessions, you too share in the responsibility for ensuring that your personal information is adequately protected. In order for us to ensure that only you are accessing your accounts, we require a unique way of knowing that it's you. Just as the key to your home protects unwanted entry, the online banking 'key'—your Personal Access Code (PAC)—ensures that only you can access your accounts.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your PAC to the MemberDirect® site is protected. Please observe the following security practices:
- Select a PAC that is not easily guessable (eg 1234, 4321, 9999)
- Your PAC can be 10-30 digits.
- Keep your PAC confidential and do not share it with anyone.
- Do not write your PAC down or store it in a file on your computer.
- Never disclose your PAC in a voice or email, and do not disclose it over the phone.
- Ensure no one observes you typing in your PAC.
- Change your PAC on a regular basis. We suggest every 90-120 days.
Stronger PAC protection.
We are continuing to enhance our online banking security to ensure the highest level of security for our members. In addition to our existing safeguards, including encryption and security questions, we have introduced an enhanced Personal Access Code (PAC) for our online banking users.
When you set your PAC, you can now increase the strength of your password to include the following:
- Minimum of 10 characters
- Maximum of 30 characters
- Minimum of 1 Alpha character (Upper Case)
- Minimum of 1 Numeric character
- Minimum of 1 Special characters (see full list below)
- Spaces are not permitted
- Exclamation mark: !
- Number sign: #
- Dollar sign: $
- Apostrophe (single quote): '
- Left parentheses (round bracket): (
- Right parentheses (round bracket): )
- Comma: ,
- Hyphen: -
- Period: .
- Forward slash: /
- Colon: :
- Question mark: ?
- At sign: @
- Vertical bar (pipe): |
Your PAC will impact all devices currently used to access online banking (desktop/laptop computer, mobile platform and Northern Credit Union app). Your PAC will not apply to telephone banking, which will retain your existing PIN.
As best practice, it is important to not reuse the last 5 PACs you've used.