Corporate Social Responsibility
At Northern Credit Union, our commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is tied directly to our vision to be the leader in building financial futures, together. We are and always have been a social and environmentally conscious company that gives back to the North, because that’s the Northern Way.
Focused on the needs of our members, staff and communities, the Northern Way is about growing our social and environmental performance, along with our fiscal responsibility. We believe that Northern can make a real difference in the North, and are continually reviewing our processes and aligning our activities with member and employee satisfaction, as well as assessing our involvement within the communities we serve.
Elected by the members, our Northern Delegates act as the flag-bearers of our cause – championing local initiatives, helping Northerners in their communities, and working hard to raise awareness of our efforts to give back. Working with them, our CSR committee continues to make inroads in several key areas, including:
Community Economic Development
- Commercial lending to small businesses in our communities, creating local employment opportunities
- Local purchasing and hiring wherever possible
- Non-profit account packages and pricing
- Northern Know How financial literacy web videos and social channel
- Financial literacy boot camps and newsletters, as well as education resources for colleges and universities
- Annual contests for elementary and high school students to win prizes and RESP contributions
True North Strong Scholarship
- For Ontario Grade 12 students
- Awarding five $1,000 scholarships to students who make a difference in their community.
- To apply, complete the application form and submit application no later than April 30th, 2019
- Employee, member and delegate fundraising initiatives
- Over $100,000 in local donations raised annually
- Green building initiatives for all branches, including a 4-star rating for our new corporate head office
- Ethical investment opportunities including Ethical Mutual Funds and Community Bonds
- Online, paperless banking with E-Statements
- Teleconferenced board and committee meetings to reduce travel
Across the country, credit unions are doing their part to help make our communities better. Learn more at creditunionsarehelpinghere.com